World Newsletter

PHILIPPINES NEWS
8 February 2020

PHILIPPINES TO SEND VFA TERMINATION NOTICE TO US; DUTERTE TO TALK TO TRUMP

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte has issued orders to send to the United
States a notice to terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA),
Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Friday.
"He said, and I quote him, 'I will instruct the Executive Secretary
(Salvador Medialdea) to tell the DFA Secretary (Teodoro Locsin Jr) to send
notice of termination to the US government,'" Panelo said.
The President is also set to speak by phone with US President Donalt Trump,
Panelo said.
But according to Panelo, it isn't clear yet what the agenda is for that
conversation and who brought it up.
Locsin earlier said he had already prepared the notice and send it on
Duterte's direct orders.
The Palace previously said that Manila had begun the process of terminating
the agreement late last month.
Under the agreement, the treaty will be deemed terminated 180 days from the
date on which either party gives the other a notice in writing.


CHINA VIRUS DEATH TOLL SOARS TO 722, SURPASSES SARS COUNT: OFFICIAL

BEIJING, China - The number of deaths from China's new coronavirus epidemic
jumped to 722 on Saturday, surpassing the toll from the SARS outbreak on the
mainland and Hong Kong almost two decades ago.
Another 86 people died from the virus, according to the national health
commission, with all but five in hard-hit Hubei province, where the disease
emerged in December.
In its daily update, the commission also confirmed another 3,399 new cases.
There are now more than 34,500 confirmed infections across the country.
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), a disease in the same family as
the new coronavirus, left nearly 650 people dead in mainland China and Hong
Kong in 2002 and 2003.
More than 120 others died around the world.
China has struggled to contain the current virus despite having placed some
56 million people under effective lockdown in Hubei and its provincial
capital, Wuhan.
Other cities far from the epicenter have also taken measures to keep people
indoors, limiting the number of individuals who can leave their home.
Friday's death of a 34-year-old Wuhan doctor who was punished for raising
the alarm about the virus in December sparked an outpouring of grief and
anger over the government's handling of the crisis.
Major airlines have suspended flights to and from China.
At least 61 people aboard a cruise ship off Japan have tested positive for
the new coronavirus, with thousands of passengers and crew facing a two-week
quarantine.


PHILIPPINES' FIRST CONFIRMED CASE OF NCOV TESTS NEGATIVE, SAYS DOH

MANILA - The country's first confirmed case of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Acute
Respiratory Disease is recovering and recently tested negative for the
disease, according to the Department of Health.
"The patient is still stable. No symptoms. Our reports indicate that the
last test niya done on...February 6, I think 'yung latest niya was negative
already," Health Department spokesperson Eric Domingo said in a Friday
afternoon press briefing.
The health official clarified, however, that the patient is still classified
as a confirmed case.
"But we already sent sample for the second test kasi we need two consecutive
tests to be negative before we discharge the patient."
As of Thursday, the Epidemiology Bureau and the Philippine National
Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group have identified all the
441 contacts of the first and second case of the 2019 nCoV ARD in the
Philippines.
This figure includes the couple's fellow airline passengers as well as the
people they encountered in hotels, resorts and other places they visited.
Of the 235 contacts reached so far, 203 were placed on home quarantine. They
had no reported signs or symptoms but the remaining 32 contacts who
exhibited symptoms were categorized as patients under investigation (PUIs).
There are a total of 215 cumulative PUIs for 2019 nCoV ARD in the
Philippines, according to the Health Department's situational report on
Friday noon.
At least 57 PUIs have tested negative, while 155 test results are still
pending.
A total of 184 PUIs are currently admitted and isolated while 17 have been
discharged under strict monitoring.


PH TOURISM SECTOR LOSES P10 BILLION OVER TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS DUE TO
CORONAVIRUS SPREAD: TOUR OPERATORS

MANILA - The Philippine tourism industry has lost at least P10 billion pesos
as government continues to impose a travel ban to and from China, the
country's second largest tourism market and epicenter of the deadly 2019
novel coronavirus, an official from a tour operators' group said Friday.
About 50 percent of reservations in Boracay, Bohol, Cebu, and Palawan have
been canceled, Philippine Tour Operators Association President Cesar Cruz
told reporters.
"Both for inbound and outbound [travel], it would really have a very big
effect," he said.
"It hit us during the peakest of the peak, which is the Chinese New Year,"
he said.
The tourism industry may continue to feel the effects of the 2019 Novel
Coronavirus Acute Respiratory Disease (2019-nCoV ARD) until August, he said.
The Department of Tourism (DOT) is eyeing to boost promotions in South Korea
and the United States, the Philippines' top and 3rd largest tourist markets,
respectively, Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said.
The DOT is also coordinating with hotels and airline companies to give
discounts to attract more visitors, she said.
Stopping the spread of the virus is the government's primary concern, she
said.


DILG 14-DAY QUARANTINE MEMO NOW ONLY APPLIES TO CHINA, HONG KONG, MACAU

MANILA - The Department of the Interior and Local Government modified its
earlier memorandum ordering a two-week quarantine period for all travelers
from countries affected by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Acute Respiratory
Disease outbreak.
As of Friday, the department's Memo Circular 2020-023 (Amended Guide to
Action against the 2019 Novel Coronavirus) now only refers to travelers
coming from China, Hong Kong and Macau.
"All other travelers from other nCoV-affected countries may undergo
voluntary quarantine," Interior Undersecretary and official spokesperson
Jonathan Malaya announced on Friday.


DUTERTE ORDERS MILE LONG PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT

MANILA - President Duterte has given the go-signal for the development of
the two-hectare Mile Long property in the Makati Central Business District.
In his two-page Administrative Order No. 21 signed last Jan. 29, the
President ordered the Privatization and Management Office (PMO) to lead the
development of the property as its administrator.
Previously operated by the Sunvar Realty Development Corp., the Mile Long
property is now controlled by the government.
The Court of Appeals issued a resolution on Aug. 14, 2017 upholding the
order of Makati Metropolitan Trial Court (MeTC) Branch 61 on June 10, 2015
which directs Sunvar to leave the 2.9-hectare lot on Dela Rosa street.
The President noted that the development of the Mile Long property, "will
greatly contribute to the generation of revenues for priority programs of
the government, including among others, the pension program of military and
uniformed personnel."


LENI HITS 'FAKE NEWS' ON OFFICE, RENT

MANILA - Vice President Leni Robredo has denied an opinion piece accusing
her of living a luxurious lifestyle supposedly paid for by the government.
Robredo described as "fake news" the allegation that the government pays P1
million every month as rent for a "luxury mansion" she lives in at New
Manila, Quezon City.
"Fake news. (Quezon City) Reception House serves as our office, NOT my
residence. Our monthly rent is not P1 million, but only half of what the
Office of the Vice President (OVP) used to pay for rent at Coconut Palace,"
she said in a post on Twitter.
"And no separate mansion for our security personnel," she added, calling on
her followers to report fake news peddlers.
Robredo lives in a condominium in Quezon City.
Earlier, her chief of staff Philip Francisco Dy said their P12 million
annual budget for rent is divided between the QC Reception House and their
extension office at Ben-lor Building, also in Quezon City.
He said this is similar to the previous setup under former vice president
Jejomar Binay, who had his main office at the Coconut Palace in Pasay and an
extension office at the PNB Financial Center.
Dy said the rental expense for the main office under Robredo decreased by 36
percent from P5.280 million to P3.360 million during the first year of the
lease.


NO FILIPINOS IN NEW BATCH OF CONFIRMED NCOV PATIENTS IN JAPANESE CRUISE SHIP

No Filipinos are included in another group of 41 people aboard Japanese
cruise ship Diamond Princess that tested positive for the novel coronavirus,
the Department of Foreign Affairs said.
Only one Filipino onboard the ship has tested positive for the SARS-like
virus and is now undergoing treatment at a hospital.
The new batch that tested positive for the deadly virus includs 21 Japanese
nationals and 20 foreigners.
"The Philippine Embassy is currently working with both Philippine and
Japanese Government agencies to provide assistance to all Filipinos onboard
the cruise ship," the DFA said in a statement.
All 273 suspected cases onboard the cruise ship have been tested. The
Japanese Health Ministry said the ship will undergo mandatory 14-day
quarantine period until February 19.


36 CHINESE TRAVELERS TURNED AWAY AT MANILA AIRPORT AMID TRAVEL BAN OVER
VIRUS SPREAD

MANILA - Philippine immigration authorities on Friday barred 36 Chinese
travelers from entry to Manila amid a ban on travel to and from China and
its territories due to the spread of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
The foreigners, who flew in via a Philippine Airlines flight from Phnom
Penh, Cambodia, were denied entry at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport
(NAIA) Terminal 1 as immigration officers found out they had come from
Macau, among cities covered by the travel ban.
"They were denied entry after our officers discovered upon inspection that
they were traveling as a group and that they have been to Macau last Feb.
1," said Bureau of Immigrations (BI) port operations division chief Grifton
Medina in a statement.
The Chinese passengers were booked on the first available flight back to
Phnom Penh.


DAVAO OCCIDENTAL GOV: CULL 100,000 PIGS

DAVAO CITY - Davao Occidental Gov. Claude Bautista yesterday said the more
than 100,000 pigs in the province should be culled after it was confirmed
that hogs in San Marcelino and Jose Abad Santos towns died of the swine
disease.
Bautista said culling would ensure that the hog industry could start with a
clean slate, adding that it is necessary even though required quarantine
protocols have been followed.
However, a team of the Department of Agriculture (DA) said it is only
capable of killing 25,000 pigs.
The DA said more than 1,000 pigs raised in backyard piggeries also died due
to ASF in Barangays Dominga and Lamanan in Calinan district in this city.
Samples of the dead pigs tested positive for ASF, according to the office of
the city veterinarian.


5 ALLEGED NPA REBELS ARRESTED IN LEYTE

LEYTE - Five alleged members of the New People's Army in Leyte were arrested
yesterday.
Reports reaching Camp Aguinaldo identified one of those apprehended as
Frenchie Mae Cumpio, alias Pen, said to be the secretary of the Regional
White Area Committee-Eastern Visayas Regional Party Committee.
Also arrested were UP graduate Mira Dalla Legion, alias Lira, chairperson of
Anakbayan in Eastern Visayas; Alexander Philip Abinguna, Marielle Domequil
and Marissa Cabaljao, secretary-general of People Surge Alliance-Eastern
Visayas.
The suspects reportedly yielded four caliber .45 pistols, various types of
ammunition, two fragmentation grenades, a KG9 rifle and subversive documents
during raids on their safehouses in Barangays 77 and 96 in Tacloban City.
"They are victimizing young innocent students... pinalalakas nila ang
recruitment sa mga schools natin," Brig. Gen. Lope Dagoy, 8th Infantry
Division commander, said.


BONG GO OPENS NEW MALASAKIT CENTER

MANILA - Sen. Christopher "Bong" Go visited Ilagan City in Isabela on
Wednesday for the opening of the 62nd Malasakit Center.
"Dito sa Malasakit Center, pinagsama-sama natin ang apat na ahensiya ng
gobyerno," Go said in his speech during the launch, referring to the
Philippine Health Insurance Corp., Department of Health (DOH), Department of
Social Welfare and Development and Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office.
The Malasakit Center is within the premises of the Gov. Faustino N. Dy Sr.
Memorial Hospital in Barangay Calamagui 2nd.
"Hindi na ninyo kailangang pumila sa iba't ibang opisina. Palalagyan din
natin ito ng express lane para sa senior citizens at persons with
disabilities," Go said.
"Tuloy-tuloy po ito sa lahat ng mga DOH-run hospitals dahil napirmahan na ni
Pangulo ang Malasakit Center Act. Ayon po sa batas, 73 na DOH-run hospitals
ay lalagyan ng Malasakit Center," Go said.
The senator also witnessed the turnover of financial assistance from the
Office of the President to victims of Typhoons Ramon, Rosita and Tisoy at
the Ilagan City Community Center.
The Department of Agriculture conducted a ceremonial turnover of farm
equipment to farmers' associations and financial assistance to 1,000 farmers
from Ilagan City and 732 others from Jones town.


8 METRO MANILA POLICE OFFICIALS SACKED OVER ILLEGAL GAMBLING

Manila - Eight police commanders in Metro Manila who failed to curb illegal
gambling operations in their areas were relieved from their posts yesterday.
The police officials failed to comply with the directive of Philippine
National Police chief Gen. Archie Francisco Gamboa to address the rampant
illegal gambling activities in their jurisdictions.
These reports were validated by the police Integrity Monitoring and
Enforcement Group through raids of gambling dens and seizure of video karera
machines.


BOX OFFICE ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS: KATHRYN, ALDEN NAMED 'PHENOMENAL STARS'

MANILA - Kathryn Bernardo and Alden Richards were named "Phenomenal Stars of
Philippine Cinema" by the Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Scholarship Foundation
on Friday, following the record-breaking success of their 2019 film, "Hello,
Love, Goodbye."
They will be personally given the recognition at the 51st Box Office
Entertainment Awards, to be held on March 15 at Newport Performing Arts
Theater in Pasay.
Bernardo and Richards also won the top film acting prizes.
Aga Muhlach, meanwhile, was named Box Office King for his lead role in the
2019 Metro Manila Film Festival entry "Miracle in
Cell. No. 7," while his co-star, child actress Xia Vigor, won the Box Office
Queen title.
Muhlach also tied with Richards for the Film Actor of the Year award.
Meanwhile, "FPJ's Ang Probinsyano" star Coco Martin won the TV
Actor of the Year (Primetime Drama) award, while Angel Locsin was named TV
Actress of the Year (Primetime Drama) for the series "The General's
Daughter."
Here's the list of winners for the 51st Box Office Entertainment
Awards:
Phenomenal Stars of Philippine Cinema - Kathryn Bernardo and
Alden Richards
Box Office King - Aga Muhlach
Box Office Queen - Xia Vigor
Film Actors of the Year - Alden Richards and Aga Muhlach
Film Actress of the Year - Kathryn Bernardo
TV Actor of the Year (Primetime Drama) - Coco Martin
TV Actor of the Year (Daytime Drama) - JM de Guzman
TV Actress of the Year (Primetime Drama) - Angel Locsin
TV Actress of the Year (Daytime Drama) - Dimples Romana
Prince of Philippine Movies - Enrique Gil
Princess of Philippine Movies - Liza Soberano
Prince of Philippine Television - Joshua Garcia
Princess of Philippine Television - Janella Salvador
Movie Supporting Actor of the Year - Joel Torre
Movie Supporting Actress of the Year - Bela Padilla
TV Supporting Actor of the Year - Tirso Cruz III
TV Supporting Actress of the Year - Yassi Pressman
Most Popular Loveteam for Movies - Enrique Gil and Liza
Soberano
Most Popular Loveteam for Television - Bianca Umali and Miguel
Tanfelix
Most Promising Loveteam - Andrea Brillantes and Seth Fedelin
Most Promising Male Star for Movies - JC Santos
Most Promising Female Star for Movies - Kim Molina
Most Promising Male Star for Television - Kyle Echarri
Most Promising Female Star for Television - Francine Diaz
Male Concert Performer of the Year - Martin Nievera
Female Concert Performer of the Year - Lea Salonga
Group Concert Performer of the Year - Aegis
Male Recording Artist of the Year - Gary Valenciano
Female Recording Artist of the Year - Regine Velasquez-Alcasid
Most Popular Recording/Performing Group - December Avenue
Promising Male Recording Artist of the Year - Anthony Rosaldo
Promising Female Recording Artist of the Year - Maris Racal
New Male Concert Performer of the Year - Ian Veneracion
New Female Concert Performer of the Year - Kiana Valenciano
Promising Recording/Performing Group - SB19
Most Popular Male Child Performer - Kenken Nuyad
Most Popular Female Child Performer - Sophia Reola
All-Time Favorite Actor - Christopher de Leon
All-Time Favorite Actress - Lorna Tolentino
Most Popular Film Producer - ABS CBN Film Production/Star
Cinema
Most Popular Screenwriter/s - Carmi Raymundo, Rona Go, and
Cathy Garcia Molina
Most Popular Film Director - Cathy Garcia Molina
Popular TV Program (News & Public Affairs) - 24 Oras
Popular TV Program (Primetime Drama) - FPJ's Ang Probinsyano
Popular TV Program (Daytime Drama) - Kadenang Ginto
Popular TV Program (Talent Search/Reality/Talk/Game Show) -
Magandang Buhay
Popular TV Program (Musical Variety/Noontime/Primetime) - ASAP
Male TV Host of the Year - Jose Manalo / Wally Bayola / Paolo
Ballesteros (JoWaPao)
Female TV Host of the Year - Toni Gonzaga
Best Acting Ensemble in a Drama Series - The General's Daughter
Best Acting Ensemble in a Movie - Miracle in Cell No. 7
Comedy Actor of the Year - Paolo Ballesteros
Comedy Actress of the Year - Maine Mendoza
Popular Male Influencer of the Year - Raffy Tulfo
Popular Female Influencer of the Year - Alex Gonzaga


NBA SCORES FEB 6


FINAL
    1    2    3    4    T
team logo Magic 22-30    19    28    36    20    103
team logo Knicks 16-36    30    24    22    29    105
SCORING LEADERS
    N. Vucevic ORL
25 PTS, 8 REB, 3 AST
    J. Randle NY
22 PTS, 8 REB, 4 AST


FINAL
    1    2    3    4    T
team logo 76ers 31-21    26    25    23    27    101
team logo Bucks 44-7    22    32    32    26    112
SCORING LEADERS
    T. Harris PHI
25 PTS, 7 REB, 4 AST
    G. Antetokounmpo MIL
36 PTS, 20 REB, 6 AST


FINAL
    1    2    3    4    T
team logo Pelicans 21-31    32    40    31    22    125
team logo Bulls 19-34    25    37    19    38    119
SCORING LEADERSZ. Williamson NO
21 PTS, 4 REB, 1 AST
Z. LaVine CHI
22 PTS, 3 REB, 3 AST


FINAL
    1    2    3    4    T
team logo Spurs 22-29    35    25    32    25    117
team logo Trail Blazers 24-28    27    32    27    39    125
SCORING LEADERST. Lyles SA
23 PTS, 10 REB, 0 AST
D. Lillard POR
26 PTS, 2 REB, 10 AST


FINAL
    1    2    3    4    T
team logo Rockets 33-18    28    35    34    24    121
team logo Lakers 38-12    29    34    30    18    111
SCORING LEADERSR. Westbrook HOU
41 PTS, 8 REB, 5 AST
A. Davis LAL
32 PTS, 13 REB, 3 AST

Share Your Thoughts