World Newsletter

PHILIPPINES NEWS
13 Nov 2020

DILG: 14 DEAD, 3 MISSING, MORE THAN 345K IN SHELTERS DUE TO TYPHOON ULYSSES

 

MANILA — Typhoon Ulysses, which battered the capital region and parts of

Luzon this week, has so far left 14 dead, three missing, and more than

345,000 in evacuation centers, the interior department said Friday.

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año relayed these figures during a virtual

briefing with Cabinet members aired over state-run PTV.

While a total of 345, 119 individuals — or 102,806 families — currently in

evacuation centers by the DILG's count, Año said this may not paint the full

picture of those displaced by the Ulysses as others may have chosen to take

shelter elsewhere.

"The figures could be higher....as these are based on evacuation centers.

There are the individuals evacuated by our [local government units] but

others did not go to evacuation centers but to their relatives instead," he

said in Filipino.

"Our LGUs always carried out their mandate in saving the lives and ensuring

safety of their constituents," Año said.

 

 

DUTERTE CUTS SHORT VIDEO CONFERENCE WITH ASEAN

 

MANILA — President Duterte yesterday begged off from further engaging other

leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) at their

virtual summit, saying he had to attend to the concerns of the nation being

battered by a strong typhoon.

“If I must tell you, we are now suffering in the midst of the storm of

Typhoon Ulysses. There is a great damage and I may not be around to attend

further in this regard for I have to go around and see what I can do for my

people,” the President said in his intervention at the plenary session of

the 37th ASEAN Leaders Summit. The summit is until Sunday.

The President has another scheduled attendance in the virtual ASEAN Summit

aside from yesterday’s plenary session. Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro

Locsin Jr. represented the country at the summit.

He said that two weeks ago, the country had to bear the onslaught of another

typhoon. He was referring to Typhoon Rolly.

“But the typhoon left a trail of destruction in infrastructure and property.

This represents a setback for our development agenda, particularly in the

affected regions. This calamity is yet another stark reminder of the urgency

of collective action to combat the effects of climate change,” Duterte said.

Duterte said that ASEAN must therefore further enhance its cooperation on

disaster risk reduction management to reinforce capacities, both at the

national and regional levels.

 

 

‘NOBODY GETS LEFT BEHIND’

 

MANILA — As the nation reeled from the onslaught of Typhoon Ulysses,

President Duterte said yesterday no one would be left behind as the

government embarked on rescue and evacuation efforts.

“Rest assured, the government will not leave anybody behind. We will get

through this crisis. I assure you as one nation, kapit po tayo mga

kababayan, magbayanihan po tayong lahat (hold on compatriots, let’s help

each other),” the President said in an address to the nation.

“I assure everyone that your government is on top of the situation,” he

said. The Chief Executive said he would have wanted to be with the people in

distress but had been prevented from going out by his doctor and the

Presidential Security Group.

“So that’s the situation. It’s not that I am at a distance from you. I

wanted to go there – swim if I had to. The problem is, they preventing me;

they’re telling me I can’t die, because there’s only one president,” he said

in Filipino and English.

He said various government agencies have mobilized to address the

displacement of thousands caused by Ulysses’ devastation.

 

 

NO PROBLEM SEEN IN OFW HIRING UNDER BIDEN

 

MANILA — The Department of Labor and Employment sees no disruption in the

employment of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in the United States when

newly elected President Joe Biden assumes power in January.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello believes that Filipino workers are treated

well in the US and does not expect this to change when Biden assumes the

presidency.

“We don’t have so much to complain about the treatment of OFWs there. We

haven’t heard much of OFWs being abused in the US,” he said in a virtual

forum Wednesday. “And I don’t think there will be (any problems) in the

treatment of our country as far as America is concerned.”

According to Bello, only those who entered the US illegally are suffering

from abuses and other problems.

“The ones being abused there are not OFWs but the illegal entrants, such as

those who supposedly went there to study but looked for jobs,” he noted.

 

 

MARIKINA UNDER STATE OF CALAMITY AFTER ‘ULYSSES’ FLOODING

 

MANILA — The city of Marikina, among the worst hit by major floods brought

by Typhoon “Ulysses” (international name: Vamco), has declared a state of

calamity, Mayor Marcy Teodoro said Friday.

“I have declared a state of calamity for the city of Marikina so our

government can have a chance to effectively address the needs of our fellow

residents here in the city,” Teodoro told CNN Philippines partly in

Filipino.

He said that the declaration would also allow Marikina residents to access

emergency and calamity loans from government institutions and would let the

local government impose price controls on basic commodities.

A declaration of a state of calamity would also let the local government

access calamity funds to aid in its response to the disaster.

Teodoro said the city is now focused on rehabilitation efforts, cleaning up

thick mud left by the major flooding that swept across Marikina, where at

least three people died in the wake of Ulysses.

 

 

'ULYSSES' WEAKENS INTO SEVERE TROPICAL STORM ON ITS WAY OUT

 

MANILA — 'Ulysses' (Vamco)—the powerful cyclone that triggered Metro

Manila’s worst floods in years—has weakened into a severe tropical storm on

its way out of the country’s territory.

The typhoon, the third to hit the Philippines in November and the 21st of

the year, unleashed widespread flooding that brought back painful memories

of the Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana), submerged thousands of homes and forced

residents to wait for rescue on their rooftops.

PAGASA said Ulysses was last seen 415 kilometers west of Iba, Zambales with

peak winds of 110 kph near the center and gusts of up to 135 kph. When it

first made landfall late Wednesday in the vicinity of Patanungan town in

Quezon province, it had maximum sustained winds of 150 kph and gusts of up

to 205 kph.

Heading toward Vietnam at 20 kph, Ulysses is expected to leave the

Philippine Area of Responsibility Friday morning.

 

 

DUTERTE’S OFFICIAL RESIDENCE NOT SPARED

 

MANILA — President Duterte was not spared by the wrath of Typhoon Ulysses

after the nearby Pasig River overflowed to some areas of the Malago

Clubhouse – the official residence of the Chief Executive within the

Malacañang compound.

Photos provided by Sen. Christopher Go showed that the covered pathway

leading to the Malago guesthouse was flooded with the river’s murky waters.

But this did not dampen the spirits of Duterte who juggled his video

attendance at the first day of the 37th Association of Southeast Asian

Nations (ASEAN) Summit and Related Summits hosted by Vietnam yesterday and

the inspection of some areas affected by the storm.

After attending the opening ceremony, the President delivered his

intervention in the plenary before taping his message to the Filipino people

who were feeling the brunt of the typhoon that left many areas flooded.

In his address to the people, Duterte said he has been raring to conduct an

inspection of the affected areas in Metro Manila but his security aides and

doctors prevailed upon him.

 

 

POWER STILL OUT IN MORE THAN 1 MILLION HOUSEHOLDS IN WAKE OF TYPHOON

ULYSSES: MERALCO

 

MANILA - Meralco said Thursday power is still out for over one million

households, mostly in Metro Manila, which experienced power interruptions

due to Typhoon Ulysses.

Meralco said in a statement that as of 5 p.m., 1.191 million homes or 17

percent of its customers still have no electricity, while power has has been

restored in 1.763 million households.

"While strong winds and heavy rainfall hit the Meralco franchise brought

about by #UlyssesPH, our Meralco linemen have been working round the clock

to restore power at the soonest and safest time," the power distributor

said.

"Sinisigurado muna nilang ligtas para sa mga residente, bago i-restore ang

kuryente sa inyo. Salamat sa inyong pag-unawa at pasensiya."

Meralco earlier reported that 3,803,810 households or 56 percent of its

customer base experienced power outage during Ulysses's onslaught in the

Philippines.

It advised customers to report power outage issues through its official

Facebook Messenger and Twitter accounts or via SMS.

 

 

AFTER ULYSSES, MARIKINA WATCHES OUT FOR LOOTING, LEPTOSPIROSIS

 

MANILA - Marikina City is on guard against possible looting and outbreak of

leptospirosis following massive floods that hit the city brought by Typhoon

Ulysses.

Marikina City Vice Mayor Marion Andres told Teleradyo Friday they would be

giving residents prophylaxis antibiotics against leptospirosis, which is

spread in water containing urine from rats and other animals.

The bacteria can enter the body through cuts or abrasions on the skin, or

through the mouth, nose and eyes, according to the World Health Organization

(WHO).

The city government earlier launched a campaign “Kampanya Kontra Lepto: Daga

Mo Palit Cash” to cull the rodent population during the rainy season.

Residents were offered cash incentive for every rat they catch.

Meanwhile, a resident also called on authorities to secure flood-hit

Provident Village against possible looting.

Gilbert Gaston said a neighbor lost a refrigerator after the flooding.

"Papostehan na lang ng pulis at hingan na lang ng ID 'yung mga papasok para

hindi kami manakawan dito sa loob kasi may mga nagnanakaw na rin po. May mga

nawalan na ng ref," he told TeleRadyo.

While he was no stranger to disasters after having experienced the effects

of Tropical Storm Ondoy in 2009, he said he was surprised by the flood

brought by Ulysses.

“Medyo sanay na rin kami sa pagbaha rito pero ‘yung kahapon po hindi namin

ini-expect na gano’n kabilis,” Gaston said.

He said floodwaters reached the second floor of their house and his family

had to be rescued by Coast Guard personnel.

Ulysses, the 21st tropical cyclone to enter the Philippines in 2020, lashed

parts of Luzon Thursday, leaving a trail of devastation in its wake.

 

 

THE REST

========

 

 

COVID-19 CASES IN PHILIPPINES RISE TO 402,820 WITH 1,407 NEW INFECTIONS

 

MANILA — The total number of coronavirus cases in the Philippines climbed to

402,820 Thursday after the Department of Health reported 1,407 additional

infections.

The DOH reported that 211 more people have been cleared of COVID-19,

bringing to 362,417 the total number of COVID-19 survivors.

Meanwhile, the death toll due to the disease increased to 7,721 after 11

more fatalities were recorded.

 

 

NUNS GIVE OUT FOOD TO MOTORISTS ALONG MARCOS HIGHWAY AMID CALAMITY

 

Nuns affiliated with the the Prioress of the Community of Benedictine

Sisters gave out food Thursday night to motorists stuck in heavy traffic

along Marcos Highway near the boundary of Pasig City and Cainta town, Rizal,

due to floods caused by Typhoon Ulysses.

Aided by some staff, they distributed canned meals with hot rice, and

bottled water.

Ulysses dumped heavy rains, including in Metro Manila and its surrounding

provinces, as it traversed the main Luzon island from Wednesday night until

Thursday morning.

 

 

VILLAR AMONG FORBES ASIA’S HEROES OF PHILANTHROPY

 

MANILA — Manuel Villar Jr., 70, the second richest man in the country with a

net worth of $5 billion, made it to Forbes Asia’s 14th annual Heroes of

Philanthropy list.

Villar, touted as the brown taipan, is the only Filipino to make it to the

list of “15 altruists committed to issues facing the Asia-Pacific region.”

Forbes said that Villar, chairman of Vista Mall and Vista Land & Landscapes,

grew up poor and credits education for shaping his character.

He donated two parcels of land with a combined value of P8 billion to

Manila’s Saint Jude Catholic School and the University of the Philippines,

his alma mater, for an innovation campus.

He also contributed to new facilities at four Philippine schools.

“Education can uplift our people from poverty. It can provide dignity and

jobs,” he said in an email to Forbes.

 

 

POLILLO ISLAND FLOGGED BY TWIN SCOURGES: COVID-19 AND TYPHOONS

 

MANILA – Polillo Island in Quezon province is calling for assistance after

it was battered by twin scourges: Typhoon Ulysses and the novel coronavirus.

Polillo Mayor Cristina Encallado-Bosque said the typhoon damaged houses,

toppled trees and knocked down power lines.

“Kahit maraming damage, walang buhay ang nawala. Lahat po kami ay ligtas

dito,” she told Teleradyo’s “Sakto”.

Bosque said her constituents were in need of relief goods and construction

materials. Many fishermen also lost their livelihood after their boats were

damaged by the typhoon.

The island municipality is also grappling with the COVID-19 pandemic after

having the most number of infections among 3rd and 5th class towns in the

province.

To date, Polillo Island has 117 COVID-19 cases, with 3 fatalities.

Ulysses, the 21st tropical cyclone to enter the country this year, made 3

landfalls in Quezon Thursday.

It first hit land near Patnanungan at 10:30 p.m. followed by a second

landfall near Burdeos at 11:20 p.m. It made its third landfall near General

Nakar at 1:30 a.m.

 

 

ENTERTAINMENT & LIFESTYLE

 

 

RABIYA MATEO ALL SET FOR MISS UNIVERSE PH HOMECOMING IN ILOILO

 

MANILA -- Rabiya Mateo is ready for her homecoming in Iloilo as the newly

crowned Miss Universe Philippines.

"Mapuli na ako Iloilo (I'm going back to Iloilo)," she said in an Instagram

post on Friday morning as she expressed her excitement to return home.

Mateo used the hashtag #PaintIloiloRed, echoing Iloilo City Mayor Jerry

Treñas' call for residents to wear the hue during the homecoming

festivities.

It can be recalled that Mateo wore a ruby red gown when she was crowned Miss

Universe Philippines 2020 in Baguio last October.

In another post on Instagram Stories on Friday, Mateo shared a photo of her

crown and sash, with the text: "Good morning, Iloilo! Good morning,

Universe!"

Aside from her motorcade, Mateo is also set to take part at a lighting

ceremony at Southpoint, SM City Iloilo at 5 p.m., according to her beauty

camp Aces and Queens.

 

 

PH FINISHES 4TH RUNNER-UP IN MISS GLOBE PAGEANT IN ALBANIA

 

MANILA -- The Philippines remains a pageant powerhouse amid the pandemic as

the country's representative was proclaimed fourth runner-up in Miss Globe

2020 in Tirana, Albania.

Aside from her runner-up finish, Rowena Lucero Sasuluya also won the

People's Choice award.

The Miss Globe 2020 crown went to Lorinda Kolgeci of Kosovo, with

representatives from Siberia, Ghana, and Brazil taking up the first to third

runner-up positions.

In an Instagram Stories post, Sasuluya gave a glimpse of her fourth

runner-up crown and sash.

"Maraming salamat sa inyong lahat," she said.

Before competing in Miss Globe, Sasuluya was one of the candidates of

Binibining Pilipinas, representing Guiguinto, Bulacan.

With the national pageant indefinitely postponed, the organizer of Miss

Globe decided to handpick and invite Sasuluya to represent the Philippines

in Albania.

Posting a copy of the letter inviting her to take part in Miss Globe,

Sasuluya said in an Instagram post last month: "Just to set things clear...

Here it is! I'm sooooooo excited!"

In her introduction video for Miss Globe, Sasuluya said she hopes to

"promote the beauty and richness of Filipino culture" using her platform as

a beauty queen.

The Albania-based Miss Globe pageant that Sasuluya participated in is

organized by the Deliart Association.

It is different from the one mounted by the Canada-based Miss Globe Group,

which has Stephanie Ricablanca as its Philippine representative.

 

 

SPORTS

 

 

PBA: GINEBRA, SAN MIGUEL LOOK TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS IN QUARTERFINALS

 

MANILA -- Top-seeded Barangay Ginebra and defending champion San Miguel Beer

are out to make quick work of their respective opponents when the playoffs

of the 2020 PBA Philippine Cup tip off on Friday.

All games are to be held at the Angeles University Foundation Gym in Angeles

City, Pampanga, as the PBA goes deeper into a unique season where the

All-Filipino conference has been held in a "bubble."

The Gin Kings emerged as the top seed after putting together an 8-3 win-loss

record. However, they are matched up against one of the three teams to have

beaten them in the elimination round -- the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters.

ROS had to settle for the eighth seed after bowing to Phoenix Super LPG,

90-88, in their final elimination round game. But they can take comfort in

their 85-82 win over Ginebra last October 27, where Beau Belga played his

best game of the conference to lift the E-Painters to an overtime win.

Still, the edge belongs to the Gin Kings. Not only do they have to win just

once in order to advance to the semifinals, they are also well-rested as

they last played on Monday. In contrast, the Elasto Painters only have one

day to prepare after a grueling game against the Fuel Masters.

"We're the No. 1 seed, we're where we wanna be. We're going to the playoffs

healthy and fresh, and we feel we have a shot," Ginebra coach Tim Cone said

after they wrapped up their elimination round campaign with a 102-80 rout of

the TerraFirma Dyip.

Game time is at 6:45 p.m.

In the first game of the double-header, San Miguel looks to move forward in

its defense of the All-Filipino title against the No. 5 Meralco Bolts. The

Beermen secured the No. 4 seed -- and a twice-to-beat edge -- thanks to

Phoenix Super LPG's slim win over Rain or Shine on Wednesday night.

The Beermen defeated the Bolts, 89-82, in their lone elimination round

meeting. Since then, however, the Bolts have found their groove, winning

four of their last five games.

"What is important for us is the recovery," said SMB coach Leo Austria, who

gave his starters only short minutes in their last game against NorthPort.

Meralco coach Norman Black, meanwhile, is hopeful that his team can continue

its solid campaign. This is already quite an achievement for the Bolts, who

are making a playoff appearance in the All-Filipino Cup for the first time

since the 2014-15 season.

"We've never won seven games in the elimination round of an All-Filipino

before, so this is actually something good for us and something good for the

program, the Meralco program," said Black. "But you know, we still have so

much room for improvement."

Tip off is at 4: p.m.

A second game in both match-ups, if necessary, is scheduled for Sunday,

November 15.

The semifinals of the PBA Philippine Cup are best-of-five affairs, while the

finals will take on a best-of-seven format.

 

 

INDICATORS

 

FOREX $1 = P 48.27

 

 

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

 

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. -

Abraham Lincoln

Share Your Thoughts